Freitag, 18. Juni 2010

last move, complete

Hello again,

today I'm writing this blog sitting in a nice wifi cafe in Dornbirn, Austria.

The last weeks have been manic manic manic. There was plans to be made to move, lots of work to do at work and much more, which I'd like to share with you.

On the 21/05 we have been moving to Dornbirn from Chester Le Street. The decision has been made in a quite strange way. Anja just started to looking for jobs, got interviews and finally got the job (as executive assistant). And voila, the decision was made to leave the UK and move once again (and I tell you that it'll be the last move I do myself) after moving 3 times in the last 3 years. So I'm really happy to have made this step, but I'm all but motivated to go through all this again. So here we are and here we stay. Especially when I think back to the 21st of May. In order to move all our stuff, which we really didn't want to sell or throw away or any of this kind, we had to get a van. So I searched for van rentals that would provide me with a long wheel based van to rent and take out of the UK and all this for cheap. Hmm not possible. After several issues we had with this I finally found a rental company that said they would offer unlimited milage for this for a reasonable price. Being there in the morning of the 21st I was told that unlimited milage doesn't apply when taking the van out of the UK. So what the fuck... But we didn't have any other chance but to take it as it stands. So we did and have been lucky in the end as they forgot to charge us for the milage when we took the van back. So the trip started. I wasn't really used to a right wheel drive and certainly not to a huge van. But both together... good fun. So back from Newcastle to Chester Le Street and started packing. 2 stories and looooots of stuff to take. Thankfully we had great support from friends that came and helped moving all the furnitures etc downstairs into the van. After 2hrs everything was packed and we've been ready to go. The trip went really well. Thanks to Anja I was kept awake at all times and hardly got tired. So after 16hrs drive and 100s of times we had to stop for fuel (3.5l engine does consume lots of diesel if you put the pedal down). But we arrived safely without any issues in Dornbirn. There we had help from Anja's parents to unload and get everything sorted. After 2 short days I had to bring the van back. Same trip on my own. But by then I was very familiar with the car and had no issues at anytime. I was so lucky, thankful, releaved and made 3 x's when I got back to the van rental without ANY scratches and whatnot...

After this there have been 3 weeks of work and drink. Without my better half I had lots of time to spend in my favourite pub(s) and was able to re-connect to many people I have seen everyday a few years ago. Also I had to move out of the flat one week earlier than I actually left the UK. So I was lucky to get a nice appartment at a friends home. Which was just 1 minute away from the next pub :) Great stuff. Lots of time spend at friends' and at work. Obviously I had to get handover documents ready and finish off all the work that I normally would have to do in a months time. Especially as my fellow TLs have been off work and new starters had to be trained (wow was I busy).

Finally the day came 12/06 when it was all about leaving the UK for good. Main concern though was that the car (Astra 2) was in a terrible condition. Exhaust loose, radiator leaking, breaks weak and much more. So I was anticipating that this trip wouldn't go well and I might have to arrive in a rented car ;) But as soon as I arrived at Dover, I was glad and sure that the car would actually arrive. But as soon as I was to start the car again to leave the ferry (in Calais) it was considerably louder than before. Obviously the exhaust didn't like the 6hrs drive before and got even more loose than it was before. But hey, it's all about keep going. So I did. I felt the huge power loss and had to gain speed before attacking the next hill or I just was to slow down that much that even little rabbits running along would overtake me. But at least this kept me awake, it did! After another 10hrs drive I arrived in Dornbirn. Totally worn out. No power left. Well enough to say hello and give proper 'love' to my beloved ;)

Since then I was busy sorting the flat out as many things still had to be done. Installing washing machine, lamps, tv, sound system, unpack heavy stuff, sort out furnitures and whateverelse there was waiting for me to do. Now I'm finally looking for jobs as I get 'bored' not to work.

The weather is terrible here in Austria. Despite that it isn't cold it rains all the time and I was so much hoping to leave the Northeast and enjoy a proper summer here, being so close to Switzerland, Italy and the Mediteranian See. Well I'm really not lucky when it comes to this topic. But it's all grant. Hope that I'll be able to add some pictures shortly. So far the flat and the weather are both not worth taking pictures of. But this'll surely change shortly.

So I hope that everybody is good. I miss all of the good people I had to say goodbye to and was moved that so many people cried when saying goodbye.

Thanks for everything.

All my love to the beautiful people that there are in Newcastle and County Durham... the few there are ;)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen